Pink On Top, Pink On Bottom

Working in the veterinary field, I have been asked many, many questions... as far as odd or unusual questions, they have quite a range.

My dog has been vomiting for five days.... do you think I should bring him in to see the doctor? (ummmm... yes)

I have to give the medication twice daily for the rest of his life... does that mean every day? (Only every day that he is alive...)

It says I have to give the pills every 12 hours... can I give it twice a day?
(sure.. that should work...)

I think there's a werewolf in my back yard. Who should I call? (Men in white coats....)


But yesterday's question threw me for a loop. Never in a million years would I have guessed I would have EVER been asked this question.

A gentleman and his young daughter dropped off their small dog. The dog had a minor problem that would easily be taken care of by the doctor. After discussing all the contact information and pick up time, the gentleman got a very serious look on his face and made direct and searing eye contact with me.

"Can I ask you a question? And I need you to be completely honest with me."

I was somewhat surprised by his seriousness and anticipated a very heavy question involving the gravity of his dog's condition ... which wasn't grave at all.

"Sure, of course. Ask away..."

He pointed to his daughter, a pretty little girl all of about three years old.

"Does she match?"

"Pardon me?"

"Does she match? Her clothes? Do they match?"

If any of you know me, you know color coordination is not my strong point. I deferred to my receptionist. She surveyed the little girl, who was wearing a pink striped shirt and shorts and pink socks. We were amused, thinking this father was concerned about HIS ability to dress his daughter appropriately. He then said...

"She doesn't think she matches..."

Clarifying, we asked... "Who? Her mother?"

"No... my daughter! She doesn't think the pinks match."

Carefully stifling laughter, we again surveyed the youngster. She was very serious in her look, and she too, was anticipating the answer.

We assured her she indeed did match. Further, we told her she was very beautiful and she had done a good job picking out her clothes.... The expression on her face told me that she wasn't sure she should believe us, but her father was relieved.

In all my years working in a veterinary hospital, I never thought that I would be asked fashion advice.

Just goes to show you, the adage is very true.... just when you thought you'd seen (or heard) everything....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Violated

Timing

An awkward moment